Thursday, October 27, 2016

Blog Post Week 5

Figure 2. Funnel Separation Apparatus
Figure 1. Funnel Separation Apparatus
My micro plastics project is still in the very early stages. We continue to have problems with the actual separation of the microplastics from the soil. We have tried a different technique using a funnel, tube, and a binder clip to separate the micro plastics from the sediment. It does not work either because it still gets clogged. I have attempted to use different size funnels and different tubes without any success. Matt suggested that we attempt to do the separation in a beaker. For the beaker method I was supposed to add our 50 grams of soil sample and 200mL of NaCl solution stir and let it to settle. Once the sediment had settled I was to use a turkey baster to transfer all the liquid from that beaker into a clean one (figure 3) and only transferring a small amount of the soil into the other beaker. This approach did not work well either when I was transferring floating objects would get stuck to the sides of the beaker (figure 4). The floating parts are what I want. The idea was to attempt the beaker method and continue using a separation apparatus. It did not go this way. It did not work. I have to continue trying to see what method will work. At one point the funnel with the tube setup might work, I think it will give it another try. I have to find a better clamp. The clamp I used was very good for holding everything inside the funnel but it is kind of difficult to but it back on quickly. The soil seemed to be going through slowly but it sped up very quickly and I could not stop it in time due to the clamp. I am starting to run out of idea, I am doing more research to find a better protocol.                         

Figure 3. Start of Beaker Method
Figure 4. End of Beaker method, Failed 


    











Pseudomonas Update: This week the plan is to run gels for our positive controls. We ran PCR on our positive controls last Friday. We will screen the positive control and choose the best ones to create more positive controls. We plan to also do DNA extraction from the gels as well.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Daisy, I really liked reading through your blog so far. Nice effort on the microplastics project so far! Don't be discouraged! This is more often than not, how the research process goes. It is a lesson in patience and innovation! I have emailed you a decent sized document on methods and materials. Check it out to see if you can get any new ideas.-Cori

    ReplyDelete